Professional Graduate Diploma in Hospitality & Events Security Management
In collaboration with Centre for Behavioral Science (CBS)
Event and Hospitality industry has expanded rapidly over the past few years. In 2005, Singapore was ranked the second most popular Convention City in the world having hosted 125 international events/conventions which grossed S$3.24 billion in revenue. Singapore Tourism Board has also recognised Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions, (MICE), as a key area in the promotion of Singapore as a tourist/business travel destination. It has publicly committed itself to working with industry to build up a robust pipeline of arts, leisure and business events, to maintain Singapore s leadership position as a top destination.
Events management, ranging from small corporate events to large international MICE such as the recent F1 Racing, Asian Youth Olympics etc. is thus a growing sector of the economy. This sector needs to be supported by properly trained manpower to succeed.
Due to the recent series of terrorist attacks on hotels and mega events, there is heighten international security alert on potential terrorist attack on mega events and exhibitions, security is gaining prominence as a key factor in the choice of location for international events. As business travellers and business travellers become more security conscious, they will look for destinations and hotels that have a good record of security.
To ensure that the required infrastructure and measures for countering terrorism are put in place to protect Singapore and its people. A key step to bolster Singapore's reputation as a secure business and tourism destination is the training of security professionals managing events and hospitality management. Security is an investment that will pay dividends long into the future and it can be part of the competitive advantage for individual businesses and for Singapore as a whole. A collective effort jointly between government and private sector is critical to protect against disruptions, be it terrorist attacks, pandemics or other emergency situations. In so doing, you ensure that security personnel must be well-trained and equipped to tackle any potential crisis.
The key objective of this program is to provide students with a comprehensive security-focused yet an academic rigour graduate diploma program in the field of hospitality security management. After graduated from this program, students will acquire substantial sets of skills and knowledge in both managing a hospitality and tourism related company, and at the same time managing its corporate security to mitigate security threats posed by both terrorists and criminals.
Curriculum for Experienced Working Professionals
Developed and delivered by industry practitioner, this program is both academically rigorous and practical-oriented. The curriculum is closely aligned with industry practice and framework and is recognized internationally by Professional bodies worldwide.
- SCT 218 Security & Risk Management
- SCT 310 Criminology & Behavioral Psychology
- SCT 212 Hospitality & Events Security
- SCT 313 Emergency & Business Resilience Management
Career opportunities for graduates
With Singapore's increasingly vibrant hospitality industry (with the two new IRs), graduates can look forward to ample career opportunities in a diverse range of job choices as a Security Professionals in the following entities:
- Clubs & Resorts
- Restaurants & Entertainment Centres
- Attractions (amusement/ theme parks)
- Events Management companies
The entire programme may be completed over 6 months. Classes are held twice a week from 7pm to 10pm.
Awards & Accreditation
The Professional Graduate Diploma in Hospitality and Events Security Management is jointly awarded by Centre For Behavioral Science and Aventis School of Management. Successful graduates will be allowed to use the designatory letters "GDip Hospitality & Event Security Management" after their name upon completion of the program.
Admission & Application Procedure
All applicants must possess:
- A degree or similar professional qualifications from a recognized university/institution,OR
- A diploma from a polytechnic with at least 3 years of working experience.
- Senior executives with extensive experience but without academic qualification may be considered on a case to case basis.
Interested applicants are required to submit the following:
- Duly-completed application form
- Certified true copies of all education certificates and transcripts
- Your detailed Profile – Curriculum vitae
- Application processing fee of S$100 (non-refundable)
The course fees cover course materials and tuition by local tutors and do not include textbooks and other miscellaneous charges, if any.
Withdrawal & Deferment
All notice of withdrawal must be in writing. A full refund of the course fees paid will be made if notice of withdrawal is received more than 60 days before course commencement. If notice of withdrawal is received between 60 to 30 days before course commencement, 75% of course fees paid will be refunded. No refund will be made after the course has commenced. Course Fee paid will not be refunded in the event of deferment regardless.
- Participants may enrol and attend any of the modules for the acquisition of knowledge in a particular discipline. An executive certificate will be awarded for students that have fulfilled at least 80% attendance for that enrolled module.
- For participants that have enrolled and attended any of the modules for the acquisition of knowledge in a particular discipline, they will be issued with an executive certificate if they fulfil at least 80% attendance.
FIND OUT MORE
Download our prospectus for more information